Raspberry Pi hangs

So… after solved the last hangups, so more things changed by this side.

My new raspberry pi had arrived, and it was time do turn the one that i’ve been trying to Vasco.

So, took the sdcard from one, and plugged in another. Only have to change the internet stuff at router. At this time i’ve taked the usb cable from my samsung phone and replaced with a cheap one bought in ebay.

So, after that hangs came back….

Our software being developed had changed too.

After reading some stuff, I’ve decided to replace the usb cable with the previous. This hangs are different than the other in the past. Last one there was messages in the stdout about kernel panics… in this don’t.

In the beginning the overload was a thing that i blamed, but after being working in the pi and it blocked without anything special running… made me think. So replacing the cable with the samsung one helped a lot.

Still some hangs persist, not regular.

So ‘ive decided. I will change to raspberry pi debian wheezy beta.

Still, it may solve some things, but there is a unsure rumour about a pl2303 interface being causing problems.

I’ve being using one in our projects to parse the XML supplied by a Current Cost Envi. So despite the huge load caused by python, the arduino usb  interface being bug fixed to interface better with the home X10 interface, some lockups in the sqlite database used by python and web interface, and this new fact of the pl2303 i’m not quite sure of what’s the real problem.

Since the device don’t have anything on the screen when it crashes it’s complicated. My best bet is now the pl2303, which seen in a forum that can be solved with deleting the module and inserting it again with some tweaks.

But let’s try wheezy. It should be better for sure.

Raspberry Pi: Kernel Panic – Part II

So, after the yesterday experiences – Using more SDRAM to system and less in GPU – the kernel panic still happens.

Had seen a lot of people talking about heavy processes, and i think it must be connected, because system running idle hasn’t any problems.

So, as for today i’ve tryed a different approach: after reading some things about the interrupts in excess for such a machine – about 8000 getted with vmstat – and some saying it’s normal, and it’s related to the NIC driver from Broadcom which is using about 20% of resources, and while a new driver does’t appear, i’ve tryed a firmware update.

So, we’ve got a new kernel as i can see, and possible some more things. The upgrade firmware is quite easy to do, just follow the instructions where: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

So at this point:

edurao@raspberrypi:~$ vmstat
procs ———–memory———- —swap– —–io—- -system– —-cpu—-
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
0 0 0 90272 40652 44264 0 0 0 0 402 142 17 3 79 1
edurao@raspberrypi:~$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4 17:19:44 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Until now system looks stable, in this 3 hours… let’s see if it handles our stuff.

We’ve some heavy processes running using about 30% CPU, and since they’re threaded i think this could be the potential problem with the kernel panic  interrupt fatality, but it’s kind of a wild guess…

top – 13:47:12 up 3:11, 1 user, load average: 0.28, 0.25, 0.27
Tasks: 63 total, 1 running, 62 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 19.8%us, 3.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 74.6%id, 1.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 1.3%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 223048k total, 132824k used, 90224k free, 40692k buffers
Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 44264k cached

Will update these random thoughts with more news when some stability is achieved